Progression from the approximate start of my experiment with NFSA, May 2015, to December 2015.

As of 12-01-2015, I have broken down the three 10g tanks and combined all inhabitants and plants into one 10g, one 29g, and one 55g.  I have stopped using the vinyl fencing and started using coir in some of these pictures.  All three tanks have no filter, but I have added bubblers.  It raises the O2 levels, and I like the look of them.  All fish remain healthy.  All water within good to excellent ranges.  20-30 percent water changes every week.

Tank #1

06-15-2015

No Filters & Little Substrate PLANTS!!! 001

06-25-2015

20150728 No Substrate or Filter or Air 005

08-15-2015

08152015 UPDATED TANK PICTURES 001

08-31-2015

After Fertilization 003

09-02-2015 – after root trimming, and pulling out all filler plants.  Just plants attached to mat:

The Back Bones of These Tanks 006

10-02-2015  One Month After Adding Fluval U2 Filter.  Plant Growth Really Changed.  Losing Leaves and Pulling Lots of Dead Root.

20151001 Plant Mats 005

**************************************************************************************

Tank #2

06-15-2015

20150728 No Substrate or Filter or Air 002

06-25-2015

No Substrate Tank 20150716 003

8-15-2015

Updated Vinyl Fencing Experiment 002

08-27-2015

Burgundy Loosestrife 001

09-02-2015 – after root trimming, and pulling out all filler plants.  Just plants attached to mat:

The Back Bones of These Tanks 004

 

******************************************************************************

Tank #3

6-15-2015      (Tank on right)

No Substrate Tank 20150716 007

08-03-2015

Aquarium Pictures 001

08-07-2015

New Aquarium PLants 002

08-09-2015

Updated Vinyl Fencing Experiment 003

08-17-2015

One Day After Water Change 001

08-25-2015

20150825 Tank #3 005 20150825 Tank #3 006 20150825 Tank #3 007

09-02-2015 – after root trimming, and pulling out all filler plants.  Just plants attached to mat:

The Back Bones of These Tanks 003The Back Bones of These Tanks 007

10-02-2015 One Month After Adding Fluval U2 Filter – Losing The Strong Growth.  Pulling Off Dead Leaves & Roots

20151001 Plant Mats 004

****************************************************************************

Tank #4  Update: 09-05-2015 This tank has been broken down and the plant mat added to tank #5 (29g).

08-07-2015

New Aquarium PLants 005

08-16-2015

4th Tank 80 watts 2700K 001

08-24-2015

DSC02097

DSC02097

4th Tank 80 watts 2700K 003

************************************************************************************************

Tank #5

New 29 gallon just started.  This tank was never part of the NFSA experiment, but has become a filterless tank since all water chemistry has become stable.  I gained confidence with the other tanks, and now it no longer uses filters, and has coir as a substrate.  (Last Pic most current.)

09-01-2015

New 29 gallon 005

09-05-2015

Added Tank#4 plant mat on top of larger mesh fencing:

29G Plants 002

10-02-2015 Plant Mats Showing Fairly Good Growth.  Using Fluval U4 Filter.  Pulled all low light plants out because they were getting burned by high light.

20151001 Plant Mats 003 20151001 Plant Mats 002 20151001 Plant Mats 001

12-23-2015 – No filter for about two months.  All fish and plants doing very well.

20151223 Lights On